If you are anything like me…you are just a little (ok massively) paranoid about ticks! Over the years I’ve tested out a number of products and these are my favorite. I use these myself which is another reason that I’m so delighted to be able to offer you a 20% discount on the following products from Pyramid Products by using the discount code FINDINGJOY!
Tick Repellent. I have tried out so many tick repellents and this is by far my favouite and these are the reasons why:
- As someone with Lyme, I’m hypersensitive to smell (among other things) and often the smell of repellents is overpowering and causes me day-long headaches but I hardly notice the smell on this repellent – it’s subtle and in no way overpowering
- I can spray this both on my skin and on my clothing and it doesn’t stain either.
- It also gives 12 hours of protection…and, if you’re anything like me, it can be hard to remember to reapply if your out and about but with this product I don’t need to worry.
- It’s also splash and sweat resistant
- It protects against more than just ticks! This product has saved me against a bloodthirsty mod of midgets…anyone who’s been to Skye will know what I mean when I say there were clouds of them
- You can also use this product on children from 2 years old upwards
- As though that wasn’t enough, it’s also Deet free and instead uses Saltidin which is compliant with the EU Biocides Directive – so you know it’s safe to use
I really enjoy using this product and I feel far safer being outside in the garden, going for walks in the wood or through the countryside. If you’d like to learn more about this Scottish based company and their products then click here and don’t forget your 20% off by using the discount code FINDINGJOY
Lyme Disease Test Kit – I’m so excited about this product and I wish a product like this existed when I was bitten. Of course, you can be bitten by an infected tick without ever knowing it but for those of you who have found a tick on you or your pet, you can now get them tested.
The testing for humans and animals is deeply unreliable which often leads to erroniour results resulting in a delay in treatment and misdiagnosis. With this test kit, the laboratories test the tick itself allowing them to get results which are 97+ accurate and here are a few other reasons I’m excited by this kit:
- The accredited veterinary laboratory tests the DNA of the tick.
- You get the results within 4 working days
- The results will tell you if the tick bite you had is likely to result in you having been infected with the Lyme disease bacteria
- Your results are sent via a password protected pdf results certificate, suitable to show to a doctor. And what I am even more impressed with is that the instruction leaflet and results certificate contain technical notes to reassure doctors of the accuracy and validity of the test!
- You get everything you need within the kit, it includes a test tube and box to secure the tick in, an addressed envelope and instructions on what to do – so it’s very easy and simple to do
- For anyone who’s bitten but does not get a rash or has yet to get the tell-tall Bull’s Eye Rash – it allows you to know if you need to get antibiotic treatment without waiting for signs of a rash or for symptoms to appear…greatly increasing your chances of eradicating the Lyme disease from your system by obtaining early treatment.
The key is always prevention when it comes to Lyme disease but, with ticks being so prevalent, it’s sometimes impossible to not be bitten. This product allows you to seek prompt medical treatment or it can reassure you that the tick which bites you is unlikely to have infected you with Lyme disease. If you’d like to learn more then click here to see the details of the product and click here to read their blog. Don’t forget your discount code, FINDINGJOY, if you decide you’d like to get a kit to keep at home!
It’s incredibly important to remove ticks correctly for doing so wrongly can increase your chance of being infected with Lyme disease. There are many different tick removers out there but this is the one I trust the most and having spoken to countless people it’s the only remover I’ve never heard anything negative about. If you’re unsure of how to use it then check out the video bellow. But for now, here’s why I like it so much:
- It holds the tick without compressing the abdomen or crushing the body of the tick
- It removes the tick swiftly, effectively and painlessly
- The shape of the remover makes it very easy to use
- It can be used on humans and animal (of course with sterilisation in between)
- It minimises the risk of being infected by Lyme disease
- And, as an added bonus! It’s made from recyclable plastic
- It comes in different sizes – so that no matter what size of tick you need to remove you know you have the right size to remove it safely.
- They come in different packaging for keeping around the house or for easily attaching to your rucksack for a day out
Check out their website here…where you can also get there newest tick remover which includes a third remover for larvae
Books on Lyme Disease
My favorite thing! Each of the following books have provided me with a different array of information about Lyme disease. Most are easy to follow (even with Lyme brain) and contain a lot of useful information on diet, supplements, how Lyme disease and its co-infections move and react within our bodies. One thing I will say, about all books on illness, is that you should take away what will work for you and leave what won’t.